Steam Winter 2015:Clues
This page contains detailed information on the various clues discovered throughout the ARG.
1. The Northpole Noir comic cover resembles Hitman, with the suit and tie.
2. The original comic cover had a barcode which when scanned had the numbers
0 940509990147 15.
3. The barcode number was a password that revealed a secret sound file.
4. The comic was later updated to “tear off” the barcode.
The following inputs also work with the same result:
Based on the way it was removed, it has been speculated that it was a deliberate move to give it attention. Some have suggested that this was due to the Hitman barcode clue having been solved and serving no further purpose.
- The code
940509990147is similar to the Hitman character’s tattoo barcode, “640509040147”. ("64-05-09" denotes his date of birth, "04" indicates Series IV, "01" documents his class, "47" is the order in which he was cloned)
- The barcode itself (not the text) is the Hitman character’s tattoo barcode.
The "Blitzen Incident" is mentioned several times in the Comic Book. When this term is inputted into the Steams regular 'Search the Store' function, the game Grim Fandango Remastered is returned as the only result.
Hot toddies and maseratis
On the 6th Page of the comic book, the password to Twinkle's Club is "Hot toddies and maseratis".
The code "794e2cea991" was found on Trading Card 6, written faintly at the bottom left corner of the image.
This led to a new file.
Taffy Card Code
By increasing the brightness of the Taffy Trading Card a series of four symbols are revealed in the lower right portion of the image. These symbols are the Dungeon Master spell symbols for Lo Ya Gor Ku. Going to http://store.steampowered.com/wintercomic/loyagorku downloads the file
A Waveform Audio File (.wav) was discovered from the Hitman barcode. The file contains a man saying:
I was on the right track. I could feel it. Tomorrow, I was going to search again.
It was last modified on 2015-12-24T04:56:03 GMT.
- The voice actor for this audio file could be the same as from this video, "Introducing the Steam Link", produced by Valve (thanks, /u/Conman121).
- The actor could be Yuri Lowenthal who has done a plethora of voice acting in games and animations before (CosmicMatt). To go all in on the tenuous connections, he also voices Marth from the Fire Emblem series, which the Mystery of the Emblem ARG was based on.
This was a Japanese message:
This translated to “A/The forgotten road leads to (both) obstacles and reward.”
The file's spectograph contained
Bullet Hell is a tag from Undertale's store page, and is also a password for the page's hidden prompt.
/u/blinkroot found that entering in one of Undertale's tags, "Bullet Hell", on the store page's hidden prompt redirects you to Ikaruga.
And from there we go to the Taffy Card Code.
The code was confirmed on 2016-01-02 when 794e2cea991f.wav was found by /u/helloworld111 which contained NATO phonetic alphabet codes. When the first letters of these codes were typed out, it was revealed to be a scrambled anagram of "bullet hell". It's worth noting that "bullet hell" was found in Undertale's tags on the store page before it was found in the file.
A new .wav file was discovered by /u/helloworld111 containing the following message:
I've been to Lima four times. Stayed at all the best hotels. I used to go to dance halls and tango with Marie Carmen until the sun came up. The bravos and accolades would echo and echo until the boys in uniforms shut us down.
When this .wav file was discovered, Discord users immediately discovered the NATO phonetic alphabet code in it. An anagram of the NATO phonetic alphabet code has led us to an old clue: Bullet Hell.